We woke up today & needed to go to the post office to mail away my niece's 2nd birthday gift: here's a shout out to our lil 2yr old, J.Snow! Since we were up around 7th ave & Indian School we decided to head north a few hundred yards & hit up TWO HIPPIES BREAKFAST JOINT!
I went with the pomegranate flavored lemonade $3. This thing is amazing! They use the old fashion ice that is small & crunchy. The drink is wonderful & highly recommended! I wish they did a refill on these, it goes by way too quick for me...
The wife ordered a Breakfast Bowl which comes with 3 scrambled hippie eggs, has browns, & 2 halves of homemade toast $6 & they allow you to choose 6 toppings as well for your bowl/scramble. She went with the feta cheese, onion, tomato,
After she ordered I was flabbergasted by the offer for an egg scramble for $6 so I went for it also. I decided to go a bit different w/ my 6 toppings of choice however: Onion, Roasted Garlic, Provolone Cheese, Chorizo, Bacon, & Sausage! THE BEST EGG SCRAMBLE I'VE EVER HAD IN MY LIFE! Garlic with Provolone & Chorizo? I thought I had died & gone to hippie heaven for sure... The taters were nondescript but the bread with butter & jam was fabulous & will be hit up time & time again!
Before concluding our order we noticed something called the "HOT JAM SANDWICH" $5 & thought it sounded good so we went for it. It's a stuffed french toast type of contraption; has apricot spread with some type of sweet cream cheese in the middle than grilled like french toast. They give you some powered sugar on top, some butter to spread on top, & some maple syrup so you've got all the bases covered. If you're wondering if we used all the stuff they gave us the answer is an obvious YES! We each had about half & had once again thought we had died & gone to TWO HIPPIE HEAVEN this time! Talk about a "WOW JOINT" this was far out FoSho... Who usually has desert with their breakfast? I guess we're now "That Couple", why not, right? We're soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo groovy after all...

VENUE & LOCATION: 10 out of 10. Fun spot, old dining room feel, tables & chairs are straight out of a dump pile but that's their M.O. here. They have the most random junk all over the walls, comic books, 30yr old posters, advertising gimmicks, etc. Some of it is quite funny actually, where they found it I couldn't even begin to wonder! Location is just north of Indian School on 7th ave on the Melrose curve. I've driven by this strip mall hundreds of times not noticing anything in there but now will be back to enjoy it almost weekly!

VALUE & SERVICE: 8 out of 10. I'd say the PHood for the money was good. The way the PHood tasted & got us full was great! The over all bill was $22.78 for 2 adults & 2 bird eating type kids... We had 1 soda can $1. We had a lemonade $3. We had our loaded toast sandwich $5 & we had 2 egg bowls $6 each. It was a lot of PHood for sure, for the money not bad at all. Service wasn't anything special, felt a little rushed while ordering as it was packed, long line, & didn't know what we wanted to order. Asked the guy up front to help us & he was kind but definitely in a bit of a hurry. Great Value! Decent/Good Service.

COMFORT: 9 out of 10. If you're a 1 or 2 it's going to be a 10. If you've got kids such as we do it'll be fun maneuvering yourself around some of the decorations inside. It was nice since we grabbed the back table & had plenty of room, once we sat down of course. Like I said earlier, the seats, tables, booths, etc. were either given to them for free or salvaged from a 10yr old salvage yard. Not knocking it, just mentioning it so you know it's not going to be like "Good Egg" or any other upper end restaurant you may like eating at. The PHood is served HOT & on plastic plates, you eat with plastic utensils. Not a big deal, like I said, it's the M.O. there, but do be careful when getting PHood from counter & taking to your table, it's HOT & plastic plates don't insulate much.

OVER ALL: A+ for breakfast! Comfortable, well priced, perfect location as it's not in a supermarket parking lot or way too small like Matt's lame breakfast. I'll take out of town visitors here for sure & I'd order my egg scramble again & again! Maybe YOU order my scramble & tell me how it tasted... LEAVE A COMMENT & TELL ME WHAT YOU ATE HERE! Hope ya love tha grooooooovey JOINT! ;)

3 Responses so far.

  1. We are definitely going here the next time I am in Phoenix. I love good, hippie food! And thanks for the shout out!

  2. I will pack my tye dye shirt n go w/ u to this place n fit in!
    ONCE again, reading this made me hungry...
    I gotta read this right after I eat OR just go eat some more food
    tonight?
    The stuffed toast sounded out of this world groooovy!!
    Is it ONLY apricot jam available?
    This one is 4 sure on the list of go to"s since BREAKFAST is my favorite meal to eat out!!

  3. Fun to see everyone's different hobbies- this is making me hungry! Take care~

Post a Comment