On the NE corner of 12st & Mohave in Downtown Phoenix you'll find one of the best Mexican PHood spots around. Do not go here for a PHancy meal. Do not go here for amazing service. Do not go here for anything other than PHantastic Mexican Phood because that's exactly all they offer!
When I walked into Carolina's today I was greeted by about 20 people waiting for their PHood in the main lobby area. They have an extensive menu on the wall (looks like it's been there since day one in the 1970's) & it all looks amazing! I got a drink with my order & enjoyed the Manzanita Apple Soda you only find once in a blue moon here in the states.
Notice & enjoy the styraphome everything is served in. Like I said, not the venue for a trendy night out. The wife ordered the Combo #8 $4.95 which consists of 2 cheese enchiladas, lettuce, re-fried beans, & Mexican rice. The sauce on top of the enchiladas was mediocre & the cheese was hard to notice with the extensive flavors & spice from the dark sauce. The rice & beans were fantastic but not worth even an 8 minute drive from our townhouse. The wife will be ordering something different next time she goes here.
This is the Manzanitta apple soda, you can get can's @ Wal-Mart & some Mexican markets but other than that it's almost impossible to find. When I saw it on tap I was ecstatic & drank an entire cup of it before the PHood came out. This is enough reason for me to go back monthly & experiment on dishes until I find one I love more than life itself.
I went with the Combo #6 which offers Chorizo, potatoes, rice, beans, lettuce, & one of the "Best tortillas in town" that is the size the skin of a regulation basketball. I made 3 seperate suto burrittos out of my massive tortilla & goodies on my platter. The "On Tap Hot Sauce" is also very good & highly recommended to those who like that type of stuff. For the costs, this plate was tough to beat. If I ordered again I'd request extra meat as it was pretty lite in this dish, the potatoes were a bit dry & lacked the presence of cheese on top of it.

VENUE & LOCATION: 5 out of 10. Let's be honest, if this was a different type of place it would be a 0 out of 10. The building is a year or two from being condemned & torn down. The neighborhood is sketchy at best & this is during the 1pm lunch hour. I give them the benefit of the doubt because @ this point it's almost their M.O. to have a hole in the wall x's 1000 curb appeal.

VALUE & SERVICE: 10 out of 10. When you can go stuff yourself for $12.02 & have unlimited refills on the soda you've found yourself a winner. Everything on the menu is priced below market value & looks tasty (peeking on other people's plates) as anything. Service was as good as you'd expect. They take your order @ the counter, make your PHood in the kitchen (which you can see) & hand it to you about 10 minutes later. Other than that you're serving yourself.

COMFORT: 7 out of 10. As long as you don't mind eating in a main dinning room straight out of Chihuahua Mexico you'll be fine. If you're worried about safety outside the restaurant, cleanliness, interior design, &/or age of the table this place may not be your spot. I'm not worried about much & enjoyed every bit of my authentic experience @Carolina's Mexican PHood "The best tortillas in town" just south of Downtown PHX!

RECOMMENDATION: Give it a try, it's $5.00 a plate for crying out loud! Pre Dbax or Suns game drive down 7th st a mile & go east on Mohave. Keep your opinions to yourself & enjoy some authentic Mexican phood!
B- until we find something worth dying PHor!

4 Responses so far.

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.
  2. I'm sure I would like it IF I liked Mexican phood.
    I DON'T. So you won't see me at Carolina's in the near phuture.

  3. Is this where we drove thru that night coming back from the airport?
    That place was good!

  4. No drive thru here, fast PHood but a takeout or sitdown!

Post a Comment